Apply for Executive Assistant
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, California working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 24-year history, we have worked on issues including jump-starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.” In addition, our programmatic efforts are strong and growing, with the organization sponsoring four bills in Sacramento, building on our success in Alameda County, and working with partners across the country to build a movement to end mass incarceration.
The Executive Assistant works with the Executive Director and Deputy Director to enhance productivity and maximize the Ella Baker Center’s impact. This role involves administrative and logistical support for many of the Executive Director’s most important responsibilities, including meetings with key stakeholders, media appearances, and speaking engagements. Additionally, this role will support the Ella Baker Center’s leadership team and Board of Directors. The Executive Assistant is supervised by the Deputy Director.
Knowledge and experience working with boards are useful and beneficial. A high level of discretion is required as this position routinely deals with confidential and sensitive information and a diverse group of external parties, as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Executive Director and Leadership Team Administrative Support
- Support with contact and relationship management, including drafting emails and other correspondence
- Organize and prepare information for Executive Director’s use in meetings, presentations, and reports
- Take minutes/meeting notes
- Conduct occasional research
- Organize meeting rooms and ensure refreshments are available
- Other duties as assigned
Calendaring and Coordination
- Schedule meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage calendars, both day-to-day and with longer-term strategy and goals
- Identify and coordinate media appearances and speaking engagements
- Ensure adequate preparation for appearances for important events, such as meetings with key stakeholders and speaking engagements
- Make travel arrangements which include booking flights, accommodation, and car rentals
- Coordinate and provide logistical support for board meetings
Board of Directors Administrative Support
- Provide administrative support for the Board of Directors and Board Committees, including maintaining rosters and meeting schedules, preparing meeting/event materials, set-up, food ordering, organizing logistics
- Assist with project follow-up from Board/Committee meetings
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Experience working as an executive assistant or other admin support role
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work and complete assignments under deadlines
- Strong communication skills (via phone, email and in-person)
- Familiarity with cloud-based calendar systems (Google Calendar preferred)
- History of working collaboratively with stakeholders (board members, volunteers, etc.) and coworkers while exercising individual leadership in meeting core job responsibilities.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Familiarity with cloud-based systems, such as Google Drive and Box
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Familiarity with criminal justice landscape in California and/or the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Bilingual Spanish and English a PLUS
- Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Nothing in this job description restricts Ella Baker Center’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary Range: $51,000 – $61,000
EBC offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, LTD, life insurance, EAP, vacation and sick time, 401k matching contributions, and an opportunity to qualify for a sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit application materials to: email@example.com with “Executive Assistant hire” in the subject line. Complete applications must include:
- Cover letter
- 1-2 relevant writing samples
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
START DATE: March 2020
Oakland, California, US
$51,000 – $61,000