Apply for Finance Manager
FINANCE MANAGER for the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20-year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Finance Manager will be responsible for financial recording, reporting and analyzing of both operational and building related transactions -- all in the context of an exciting and fast moving social justice oriented organization. Accurately processing accounting transactions in QuickBooks, managing payroll, analysis in spreadsheet documents, potential presentation of financial information -- will be key activities.
To a much lesser extent, but part of the work, will be assisting with office management, IT management. In general, the role is focused on supporting all finance functions in collaboration with the Director of Finance & Operations and the Executive Director, and other misc. tasks.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Finance Manager works as part of the Administration Team, to build institutional financial systems that ensure stability, health and efficiency. They ensure the smooth functioning of finance, administrative systems through being the main support for financial operations of the organization.
This is a full-time exempt position with access to sensitive information.
● Accounts Payable-coding, recording and entering and running of checks ensuring timeliness of payments (multiple companies)
● Accounts Receivable-recording and coding of receipt/donations for deposit
● Processes semimonthly payroll in QuickBooks
● Prepares credit card reconciliations; reviews and approves on a monthly basis
● Monthly bank reconciliations (multiple accounts)
● Process quarterly payroll and shared allocations
● GL account reconciliations and journal entries
● Works with development team to reconcile donations in QuickBooks with Salesforce on a monthly/quarterly
● Assists in assembling various financial statements and reports for the Board and external stakeholders
● Opens, sorts mail and prepares checks for finance and development teams. Prepares outgoing mail for finance team.
● Assists during the annual budget process
● Assists during the annual audit processes
● Supports Director of Finance & Operations in special projects, tasks, as needed
● Manages IT services for organization including overseeing technology implementation in coordination with departments and consultants
● Ensures organizational compliance in digital security and protection
● Supports IT strategic planning to ensure ongoing improvement to office technological capabilities
● As approved, attends industry trainings to stay up to date on market trends
● Support with day to day operations of the office/building
● Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time
● Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
● Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer
● This position needs to be able to use a telephone and communicate with staff, vendors and other members of the public
● Nothing in this job description restricts Ella Baker Center’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• 3-5 years in a finance/accounting/FC bookkeeping position with increasing responsibility.
• Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles and practices for a mid-sized nonprofit.
• Ability to multitask and handle competing demands; prioritize and manage focus and productivity effectively; ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative and leadership.
• Ability to be discreet and judicious with non-routine and private information.
• High level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism.
• Superior organizational skills, and the ability to create, implement, and maintain systems to improve the efficiency of the finance/admin office.
• Detail oriented.
• Good interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
• Knowledge of QuickBooks and/or various non-profit accounting software
• Proficiency in Mac interfaces and all Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability and capacity to manage an IT vendor, guide appropriately.
• Familiarity with and commitment to racial and social justice; clear understanding of EBC’s mission and programs.
• Experience working with finance/bookkeeping for multiple companies a plus.
• High school diploma or GED; college diploma a plus.
• Nonprofit experience, bilingual skills a plus.
• Technical capability
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Decision Making
• Project Management
• Communication Proficiency
• Teamwork Orientation
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $65,000 to $70,000
Competitive benefits including: 401k match, healthcare, chiropractor, acupuncture, dental, LTD, Life Insurance, EAP, vacation and sick time.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to
Submission Email Address: email@example.com
Submission URL: https://ellabakercenter.catchthebest.com/apply/45qz229n
Oakland, CA, US
Salary Range $60,000-$70,000