Apply for HR/Operations Manager
HR/OPERATIONS MANAGER for the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20-year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The HR/Operations Manager will be responsible for supporting the organization’s HR and administrative functions in collaboration with the Director of Finance & Operations and the Executive Director, and other misc. tasks.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the HR/Operations Manager works as part of the Administration Team, to build institutional stability, health and efficiency. They ensure the smooth functioning of personnel processes and administrative systems through being the main contact for daily HR and office operations of the organization. This position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's operations functions.
This is a full-time exempt position.
● Supports implementation of all recruitment, hiring and on-boarding processes of staff and interns with a keen focus on inclusion, equity, diversity, anti-oppression efforts.
● Maintains and updates Employee Handbook and On-Boarding Guide as needed
● Focuses on training, team building, positive organizational culture and balance.
● Ensures full compliance with federal, state, local laws and/or regulations with support from Director of Finance & Operations
● Cross train in payroll as potential back up to the Finance/Operations Manager and manages 401K platform, benefits programs/open enrollment, acts as a liaison between staff and benefits broker
● Work with Leadership Team to facilitate recruitment efforts including updating job descriptions, posting new positions and scheduling interviews
● Support Director of Finance and Operations with internal and external audits (workers comp, 401K and financial audits) as needed
● Assist with facilitating employee relations conversations of a sensitive nature helping to resolve conflicts or disputes
● Works collectively with Director of Finance and Operations to manage employee Resiliency and Wellness Program
● Manages phone, mail, and fob access system
● Ensures all office equipment is functioning and solves with vendors as appropriate
● Order and stock all office supplies and equipment
● Manage office upkeep, chore rotation and other duties related to keeping our office clean and functional
● Assist in coordinating the logistics of seasonal staff training's and retreats, including identifying venue, ordering meals, transporting materials to sites, and communicating with staff on logistics
● Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time
● Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
● Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer
● This position needs to be able to use a telephone and communicate with staff, vendors and other members of the public
● Nothing in this job description restricts Ella Baker Center’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• Working knowledge of office productivity software (MS Office Suite) required
• 3-5 years of Human Resources/Administrative work experience
• Knowledge of employee relations and federal and local regulations
• Experience with payroll systems preferred-Quick Books a plus
• Experience in customer service or account management is a plus
• Ability to multitask and handle competing demands; prioritize and manage focus and productivity effectively; ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative and leadership.
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofing skills.
• Ability to be discreet and judicious with non-routine and private information.
• High level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism.
• Superior organizational skills, and the ability to create, implement, and maintain systems to improve the efficiency of the office.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
• Proficiency in Mac interfaces and all Microsoft Office applications.
• Familiarity with and commitment to racial and social justice; clear understanding of EBC’s mission and programs.
• High school diploma or GED; college diploma a plus.
• Nonprofit experience, bilingual skills a plus.
• Technical capability
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Decision Making
• Project Management
• Communication Proficiency
• Teamwork Orientation
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $65,000 to $70,000
Competitive benefits including 401k match, healthcare, chiropractor, acupuncture, dental, vision, vacation and sick time.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to
Submission Email Address Submission URL
Oakland, CA, US
$65,000 to $70,000