Apply for State Campaigner
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR STATE CAMPAIGNER
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20-year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Campaigner will lead the state level policy work with guidance from the Policy Manager in consultation with the Policy Consultant/Lobbyist. The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is working to advance the Truth and Reinvestment Agenda and seeks to end mass incarceration and the disproportionate criminalization of communities of color. The state level policy work includes developing campaigns to support Ella Baker Center-sponsored legislation, working in coalition to support legislative change, following the implementation of Ella Baker Center-sponsored legislation, and analyzing potential legislation. This position requires extensive self-management and control.
Responsibilities will include:
● Lead statewide campaigns that end mass incarceration and advances the Truth and Reinvestment Agenda.
● Write policy memos, fact sheets, and briefing documents based on substantive research that supports Ella Baker Center sponsored-bills moving through the legislative process.
● Build the Ella Baker Center membership through active outreach to communities across the state.
● Facilitate policy-based advisory groups and member sub-committees to advance the goal of ending mass incarceration.
● Develop implementation strategies for policies that have been passed
● Conduct regular meetings with criminal justice reform organizations within and external to coalition work.
● Provide political education and training to Ella Baker Center members and staff that elevate understanding of the criminal justice landscape.
● Provide ongoing support to the Program Team through logistics, media, policy management, and other support.
● Act as a representative for the Ella Baker Center in coalitions and attend relevant conferences, meetings, and trainings.
● Represent Ella Baker Center publicly as a spokesperson on specific policy priorities and on the general mission.
● Supervise volunteers and interns to advance campaigns and initiatives.
● Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary.
● Participate in social media activities; provide strategic direction for the Ella Baker Center’s communications and media strategy.
● Assist in administrative duties as necessary
● Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events) as necessary.
● Proven commitment to social and racial justice
● Bachelor’s Degree required; Advance Degree in Law, Public Policy, or other relevant field desirable.
● 3-5 years’ experience in racial, criminal, and/or economic justice campaign work
● 2 or more years’ experience working in and leading coalitions
● 2 or more years’ experience in event and/or conference planning
● Knowledge of the local and state political and economic landscape as it relates to criminal and juvenile justice
● Understanding of juvenile and criminal justice systems, including key issues and policies, best practices, etc.
● Ability to cultivate relationships with likely and unlikely allies, including policymakers, stakeholders, faith leaders, and community members
● Team player attitude
● Excellent research and analytical skills
● Excellent written and verbal skills
● Excellent time management skills
● Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as necessary
● Willingness to travel as necessary
● Bilingual Spanish and English is a PLUS
● Driver License and Proof of Insurance (if operating personal car on Ella Baker Center business)
● Must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time
● Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
● Requires some travel
● Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer
● This position needs to be able to communicate with the general public
Nothing in this job description restricts Ella Baker Center’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
This is a full time exempt position. It is eligible for all benefits.
This position is supervised by the Policy Manager
Salary range: $60,000-$65,000 annually
Competitive benefits including: 401k match, medical, dental, vision, chiropractor, acupuncture, vacation and sick time.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range $60,000-$65,000