Apply for Deputy Director
DEPUTY DIRECTOR for the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (EBC) seeks a bright and dedicated person to help lead in the organization into its third decade. Reporting to the Executive Director, and serving as a key member of the management team, the Deputy Director will be a leader in a collective environment. This is an outstanding growth opportunity for an up and coming leader or established leader interested in a new challenge, in the social justice arena. The successful applicant will possess at least 5+ years of professional experience in social justice programming, finance, operations, human resources, supervision/management and/or administration, taking on increasing levels of responsibility over time.
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights advances racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In addition, our programmatic efforts are strong and growing, with the organization sponsoring four bills in Sacramento, building on our success in Alameda County and working with partners across the country to build a movement to end mass incarceration.
The Deputy Director will work in partnership with the Executive Director to ensure that EBC’s team has the strategic direction, staffing, structure, management systems and collaborative partnerships needed to implement its strategic plan. The primary goals of the Deputy Director are to provide strong internal management of the EBC director level program staff, to manage and supervise EBC’s Leadership Team, and to create and maintain strategic integration of EBC’s programs to best support the organization in achieving its mission. The Deputy Director will report to the Executive Director, will supervise director level program staff in a collaborative and collegial way -- focusing on interdepartmental synergy and organizational success, allowing Departmental Directors to share their agendas. The Deputy Directory will work closely with the Board of Directors and ensure that Management Team is appropriately engaged in relevant Board presentations, discussions.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Support the Executive Director
● Supervision, Management and Development of Director Level Program Staff
● Organizational Culture and Health
● Program Development and Oversight
● Represents EBC at key meetings as requested.
● Holds a deep commitment to EBC’s mission and the principles of social justice; inclusion and place based work, with a particular focus on the area of the new offices in the Fruitvale community area of Oakland.
● Proven success as a highly skilled manager and leader
● Direct knowledge and understanding of how to build grassroots and political power through base-building, civic engagement, and movement building;
● Embodies self-confidence and the capacity to proactively create and independently move forward a complex agenda;
● Ability to identify and set priorities in line with our goals and strategic direction;
● Successful track record of at least 5 years in: supervisory experience, program management, operations and finances;
● Leadership and communication skills (both written and verbal) with the ability to facilitate understanding across multiple audiences;
● Ability to develop a team-oriented environment; commitment to democratic participation, including a union agreement.
● Capacity to articulate an organizational commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression work anchored in the simplicity of respect and communication.
● Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice
● 5+ years of supervisory experience
● 5+ years’ experience in event and/or conference planning
● Knowledge of criminal and juvenile justice systems and best practices
● Familiarity of the criminal justice landscape in California.
● Team player attitude
● Excellent writing skills
● Excellent internal and external communication skills
● Excellent time management skills
● Excellent computer skills, including Internet navigation, Google Suite, Microsoft Office
● Experience utilizing Salesforce is a PLUS
● Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as necessary
● Willingness to travel as necessary
● Bi-lingual Spanish and English is a PLUS
Nothing in this job description restricts Ella Baker Center’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
This position reports to the Executive Director
SALARY and BENEFITS
Salary DOE- competitive salary range.
This is a full time exempt position. It is eligible for all benefits.
EBC also offers a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, vacation and sick time; 401k matching contributions and an opportunity to qualify for a sabbatical.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume; a cover letter describing your interest in the position including qualifications; salary requirements; thoughts on the future of Ella Baker’s work in the current political context; and 3 references to Please use “Deputy Director hire” in the subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Start date: February/March 2020
Submission URL: https://ellabakercenter.catchthebest.com/apply/m93xpv5k
Submission e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakland, California, US